Really the best part about participating in AmeriCorps is that you are paid to be trained. And in the MCC I am paid to be trained for 4 months. I enjoy how tangible my growth here is. I am acquiring skills that I can actually describe to people without detecting a yawn on their part. It is an exciting job and I enjoy it.
Thoughts....
When I reflect on my life (and I mean the whole of it), I recognize in myself a certain unchanging quality: confusion about what comes next. I've always understood individual concepts but have had a hard time putting pieces together, or taking the next step. I don't seem to build on my skills, I just find new ones. I need to either change this 23-year-old habit or else somehow make it work. Jack of all trades, master of none.....
I'm still not entirely sure how I will go about my future, but lacking that knowledge is no longer making me feel quite so insecure, which is a welcome change.
A little bit about what I've been up to....
- Took the Wilderness Advance First Aid training course and met a life flight team! Exciting. The most important concepts: Look out for # 1, Check for Level of Consciousness, maintain Airway, Breathing, Circulation. Learned how to: Create tourniquets, splints, wraps, litters, etc.
- Helped construct the new MCC regional office. I used a circular saw to create steps for a stairway. The first few that I made were a bit crooked but the supervisor said we could just put those edges against the wall where no one will see them...... Hmmmmm.
- Started volunteering at Terrapin, a wholesale organic farm in Whitefish. I'm super psyched. The woman that runs it, Judy, has already taught me a lot about Agro-Economics/Policy and employes interns in the summer so perhaps I can work there next summer. My first day was spent transplanting lemon balm which smelled pretty amazing.
- I was assigned my co-leader, Eric, who coincidentally is from Ann Arbor Michigan :-D :-D
He's really cool and I'm happy that he's my co. We'll be a good team.
It has been beautiful in Kalispell. Come visit :-D
Love,
Zoe
No comments:
Post a Comment