Saturday, March 27, 2010

My Co and I rocked it

Hello Big Sky blog readers!!! I learned this weekend, during a rousing game of MCC olympic trivia, that Montana is not the Big Sky State, and not even The Last Best Place, but is OFFICIALLY known as the Treasure State!!!

I learned that little nugget, along with many other fabulous pieces of trivia during LSK Olympics and the Dueling Duo walk off this week at MCC Leadership Training. LSK (Leadership SKills training), is 4 days dedicated to "soft skills" necessary to developing our backgrounds as MCC Crew Leaders. We explored many concepts including learning styles, debriefing, facilitation, feedback, communication, situational leadership and conflict resolution.

Most importantly all of of this was incorporated into an educating style known as "parallel processing" (basically asking a group of learners to analyze the way that they are being lead as an example of how they should lead).

I took a lot away from Leadership training. This program really emphasized self awareness and evaluation and has made me more conscious of, and in greater control of, my style of leadership. It has given me the tools to recognizes my strengths and weaknesses, as well as how to function effectively in a co-leading relationship. I'm really going to try and invest a lot of energy into becoming more deeply familiar with the concepts taught at this training, and the hope is that I will be able to incorporate these concepts into the natural flow of my leadership style. I do not want these concepts to feel contrived when I apply them, so I think that making them into a habit will make them feel natural, consistent, and effective.

Now onto more important news, which is that the Northern Rockies (my MCC region) won the Olympics and the Dueling Duo walk off thingermabobber (basically costume contest). I really love how invested our region is. It was a really great night for N Rock (and for everyone).



Eric (my co!) and I made a Bugs Bunny & Carrot costume (see pic) and created a skit which basically involved me chasing him and him being eaten. We won 3rd!! And Hanna & Dan took 1st for their Leprechaun & Pot of Gold. I really loved seeing all of the duos and skits. They were hilarious. If only every work place could be like this. I feel like I'm at summer camp :)

No comments: