Sunday, January 11, 2009

A New Adventure


Hello from the glorious snow encrusted state of Montaña.

My initial feelings about Montana were that I might never leave it. And I knew for certain that I would return if nothing else. And so I have. Maybe sooner than I had planned. I'm glad for it. Everyone deserves adventure in their lives. Despite the many bureaucratic details that in modern life may follow the otherwise carefree spirit of the heart, it is worth following what feels good and right. And finally getting here, I realize that that was my motivation from the start. The transition period felt uncomfortable, unsettling, and scary, but just as I thought I would, I feel good.

Next week I will begin my new job as an Americorps VISTA (Volunteer in Service to America). I will work for the Montana Justice Foundation doing as yet to be discovered tasks involving fund raising. I am still deciding what motivated me to be here. Montana, Jack, potential roots in the legal profession. I'm not sure. I think that I'll learn why I love it as I go, which is my tendency.

I regret leaving the mountains, hovering tantalizingly around the bitterroot valley that I now live in. It seems insurmountably more difficult to make my way toward them (despite their proximity) than it should be, but I'm just settling in now, and I'll find my way. In the meantime, I'll find happiness in this valley.

It feels good to cross an entire country to get to your destination. It makes the landscape, the people, and the places, less like a fiction. It makes the world smaller and more comforting.

I'm happy with my choices. And am ready for the next year to be a great one.

Love,
Zoe

No comments: