Saturday, November 27, 2010

bien lectura

For a long time I have been critical of my writing. I received a lot of praise for it in my past, but never believed it to be a particularly unusual or special gift of mine. I've never thought that of any of my abilities for that matter. But I've recently come around to the notion that people neither appreciate a person who brags about their abilities nor a person who condemns them. So I've decided to write again, and to believe that I am good at it (whether or not I am) for my own sake. And for the sake of having a record.

I can't honestly believe that I went through three years of AmeriCorps without really documenting my experience. Particularly given the fact that I lived such an unusual life for two of those years. A life that few people can relate to. And I assume a life that my future self might even have a difficult time relating to.

I went on a hiatus for fear that my abilities had started to smolder. I am two years out of college and my efficiency and organization when writing, have definitely diminished. But writing is where I feel most comfortable and I am ashamed that I grew so self conscious about it.

Strangely, the thing that motivated me to take it up again was the discovery of old high school and college papers. I'm trying to fold back into my parents' household which has required unearthing a lot of old belonging, and fitting in a lot of new ones. I put all of this work aside upon finding the papers--the majority of which said "nice writing, 4.0" "well written A" "well articulated, A" "bien lectura 4.0" "you have a touching turn of phrase 4.0" (that last one from my geology professor of all people). I discovered an old standardized test from the 3rd grade...I scored in the 91% for reading and writing.... (34% for math, sigh). I clearly have a dominant ability that I have been carrying with me for all of this time, and have completely and totally ignored. I need to stop doing that and to begin figuring out how to channel this ability into a career. Seriously.

Reading my old report cards made me realize that one of my greatest assets as a small child was my sensitivity toward others. I think that I need to harness this as well. Sometimes your childhood self has a lot to offer you. A child cannot help but be who he or she is. At this point in my life I feel as though I'm sophisticated enough to trick myself out of choosing the best path for me. And I want to be careful. So I'll take some cues from my past and other assorted items and start chunking together what I foresee as a future. This might not be a beautiful process, but it certainly needs to begin with an assessment of what I think I can do well.

Wish me luck.

Love,
Zoe


No comments: