Friday, November 12, 2010

Well it's that time of year again. "What do I do next?" She asked the great orb. It kept spinning, no answers in its wake.

My life is now defined by the seasons, and as this one has come to a close, I have decided to say goodbye to Montana for now, and to head back to Michigan. Last year, at this exact time, I made a half hearted decision to go home after my VISTA service and get my life straightened out. But I would've been closing out my experience in Montana on a halfhearted note. I felt like I was abandoning my boyfriend I had just gotten to know, abandoning a beautiful countryside, and a place that I had just freshly made my home. I felt like I hadn't taken advantage of my opportunities here.

I'm glad that I followed my heart and reenlisted in the MCC. It was the right choice. I had a wonderful season. I developed meaningful leadership skills, and got to enjoy one more year in Montana's outdoors. It is a more satisfying end than VISTA, which was an insightful experience, but which did not fill me with the kind of enthusiasm that makes people happy to be alive.

I am okay with my decision. Now I just have to have the discipline to move onward and to be productive, enthusiastic and confident while doing so. These will be the challenge.






No comments: