Monday, June 20, 2011

Weekend Adventures

Well, this "weekend" (my version, which is 6 days long) was busy as ever!

I began researching Graduate Schools. I looked at PsyD programs as well as MSWs. I'm beginning to make a chart of schools which includes costs, locations, entrance requirements, application costs and due dates, and of course, start dates. It's becoming clear that most of these schools (all that I have come across so far)begin in the Fall which is endlessly annoying to me since that means delaying for yet another year, my education. I'm going to be 30 by the time I have a real job. Sigh. The good news about this though is one more year of Forest Service! And also, since I will have a more clear direction, perhaps I can sign myself up over the winter to volunteer with different populations and figure out where I best fit.


One of the most difficult things about being away from home, out of MCC, VISTA, College, and school in general, is not having a built in friend base. It's hard to make friends when you are out on the trail all week! So I was so SO happy to meet up with Felesha!! Wednesday, we hit up Crush Winebar and talked for hours. Somehow we have been living within a 20 mile vicinity of each other and have allowed two years to go by without a visit! Fle also came down to Kspell to visit Paddy's Happy Hour with Jack, Cliff, Julia, Casey and myself on Friday. We lingered a little longer in our nostalgia and visited the MCC office so that Felesha could see the photo of herself (above) that has been blown up and hangs on the walls of the new office. We fell over laughing looking at it and then thumbed through our old photo albums and giardia, our crew's (and many subsequent crew's) stuffed microb mascot, and laughed some more.

The Montana Rafting Co hosted Rafting for Refuse on saturday. It took Jack and I up until an hour before the event to convince ourselves to do it. I couldn't tolerate the idea of beating myself up over a wasted saturday though so I decided we should go, rain and a long drive notwithstanding. I'm so glad! We got a view of the middlefork (which splits Glacier Park and the Flathead National Forest) that I had never had before. Our guide's knowledge of the river was impressive- she shared details on birds, history and geology of the area. All and all it went by quickly. It's pretty invigorating to get slapped in the neoprene by icy cold rapids!! Good times good times.

Today I returned from the East Side of GNP. Jack started work there this morning so he wanted to get an early start by heading there yesterday. We explored the st. mary drainage a bit and discovered a trail that runs along the southern shore which I would
eventually like to hike. I'm not sure about where the trailhead is though.... We also checked out St. Mary Falls. They were gorgeous as usual! To give you an idea of the difference in the water level between spring and summer, check out the photos below (the one on the left is august 2008, on the right is june 2011). WAY MORE WATER right? Crazy.















I took multiple pictures of my car in wild locations so that I can pretend that it is in a jeep commercial. But I don't feel like downloading more photos (I know you are grateful). Feel free to check em out on fbook though.

All and all I'd say this has been a fun filled 6 days off :)

Back to the woods tomorrow!

Love,
Zoe

No comments: