Maybe I'll tell you about it :)
Swan Lake administers a section of the forest that runs between the mission and swan mountain ranges and runs pretty much the length of the seeley-swan highway. SLRD contains many ports of entry into the Bob Marshall Wilderness, and is responsible for maintaining a significant portion of Alpine 7, the trail that stretches along the crest of the swan range. It also boarders significant sections of tribal land which no person can walk on unless they are a member of the salish-kootenai. Obviously I won't be seeing that bit. But I think it is cool.
Last week I met my crew. It's a huge crew!! Their ages range from 19 to 29, and there are six women and four men. I seem to have very good fortune when it comes to gender ratios in what has been perceived to be a male dominated field- MCC was always very conscious of keeping things fairly balanced and I am surprised to be on a forest service crew that has more women than men (and to have a female supervisor, no less).
My supervisor's name is Joy. And then I have a co-leader, Garth. Both are very nice. All and all I feel like there is a lot of camaraderie in the group and I don't foresee there being any huge compatibility issues. Everyone seems fairly easy going and respectful and I haven't noticed any weird habits or behaviors that I need to be concerned about. I'm excited to have another season to develop my leadership skills. Last year was a good introduction into that role but I often felt like I depended heavily on the old stand by "fake it till ya make it." This year I feel more comfortable with my role.
I think that the most important component of leadership seems to be being steady and reliable, staying organized and planning ahead, thinking in a measured and calm way, and being able to muster up courage when you don't have it. I've noticed that I have had to do far less mustering this year than last. I have decided to just DO instead of thinking about the million reasons why I can't.
I think that that has lead to an overall improvement in my quality of life- just doing.
This week we went to spotted bear, a different district in the FNF, for saw training. I am now (and through 2014) certified to fell with both a cross cut and a chainsaw. I also know where to find a good game of ultimate frisbee should I ever want to drive into the woods 50 miles to find one.....
All and all I'm happy with my experience. I'm also happy to be making actual money. I loved AmeriCorps, but it can go without saying that after 3 years, it's time for a raise....
Love,
Zoe
No comments:
Post a Comment