Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Packing up

Well, here I am before this blog again, ready for yet another trip to Montana. When I started this blog I didn't know that it would be the chronicle of my on again off again affair with Big Sky. I guess that I should rename it.

I leave Sunday. I tested out how much stuff I could "fit into my Fit" (muwahahha, I had to do it) and the answer is: A TON. That car is a DREAM when it comes to packing efficiency. I am astonished. My plan is to pack 2 gigantic rubbermaid bins (one for accessories like shoes and purses and scarves), the other for house items like towels, kitchen items, and other miscellaneous things, 2 clothing bags, 1 suitcase with my camping gear, a small rolling tupperware container with toiletries, and my viola. I think that all of that will fit in the middle seats. And then I believe that the remaining space, in the actual trunk, Katie can use for her items. Ahh hatchback, how I love thee. I hope that I'm not over confident about the space.

As with all moves I think that some reflection is in order. I came home for the winter with the resolve to take the GRE, which went moderately, to get a job to make a little bit of money (done), and to think about what I want to do next. I feel like I pretty much achieved those ends. I am not totally confident about my next course of action, but I feel less insecure about my own indecisive nature. I feel okay with being adventurous again and less restrained by the idea of getting too old or letting time get away.

Jack's friend Jess had good advice though, which is essentially to take choices into your own hands before time does it for you. So whether or not I make the right choice with my future, I have to make a choice- to have some accountability in my own life. I feel like my best bet right now is to go into a nurturing career. I went through a period where I believed that this was a fairly unimaginative thing to do, but I enjoy sitting down with people and talking to them about their lives and helping them see through them. I always felt under-qualified for such a position because I constantly feel ill at ease with my own life, but I have grown to realize that the people who have been the most insightful during my time of unease are not perfect themselves, and don't pretend to be. It has taken me a long time to realize that you need not be perfect, to succeed and be happy in your life, and to be meaningful to other people.

Anyway, this entry was supposed to be my packing list- as usual I've strayed away from my purpose, but that's fine.

Love,
Zoe




No comments: