I think that oftentimes I do love my gifts, and really I'm always surprised at the way they seem to open up the world. They keep me flexible, and fresh, especially the unusual ones that I've never heard of or thought to buy myself. They give me new ideas. About a year ago Emily bought me a subscription to Ms. Magazine, which is now one of my favorite rags. Oftentimes my mom buys me clothes which I would never be able to buy myself, let alone imagine wearing. And it always surprises me when they look cute! And I feel so excited about what a new concept it all is. Gifts can really be refreshing.
Anyway... enough rambling.
I started this week with my new "job." I use quotations because the reality is that I'm being paid $20 a day to drive my very nice neighbor kid to school and it takes all of an hour and a half of my time. It's easy as heck and I like him. He is respectful, does his chores without being told, wears his seatbelt without being told (which is more than I can say for pretty much all of my co-workers in the MCC). But he is also fun and easy going, and he is clearly loved by his friends nad his family. It is such a funny feeling to hang out with a kid and get the overwhelming sensation that you hope that their life will be wonderful. That they will do and see and experience great things. And that when the day comes that their heart is broken, and that their innocence is gone, that they will still be resilient, and find happiness. I think about these things while we talk about tardies and peanutbutter and fractions and legos. I think about a world much bigger than all of these, that waits for him.
No comments:
Post a Comment