Friday, July 4, 2008

Oh Beautiful

Happy 4th of July!!!

As usual I am driven to read my patriotism meter. It is higher than usual. I think it has a lot to do with the potential of change to come (BARACK I LOVE YOU!), the olympics (I am a shameless fan of TEAM USA!), and a conversation I had this morning with my crew leader, Jack.

We went for a short hike this morning to the top of one of the foothills around Kalispell and were sitting together looking down at Kalispell in the valley and the hazy Rockies on the other side, while discussing some other part of the world. I imagine I made some reference to feeling uncomfortable about the suburban landscape that was my raising ground. Jack, sipping on his Nalgene, put it down and said, "We spend so much time looking at other cultures, that it is difficult to recognize that we have our own." I considered this for a moment, realizing as I looked down at the valley, that even this town of Kalispell, which is so wholly american (we woke up to small flags punctuating each yard in our neighborhood), is also so wholly different from my own home and my own culture. I really felt comforted by this notion of the unique contribution each community makes to the unity of this country.



I also find it easy to be patriotic when I am surrounded by the beauty of my country. The pine trees, and green glow of the glacial till in the aqua lakes, the glaciers, the grizzly bear...they have no responsibility in national and international policy, they neither harm nor exploit other nations, they claim no stake in globalized markets. They are apolitical. They are peaceful. I can be proud of them. I am greatful that they are part of this country. And I am thankful that Greatful that my nation chooses to protect them.

I love montana :)

happy fourth!

No comments: