Sunday, May 25, 2008

Parting is Such Sweet Sorrow



I find it difficult to convince myself that I am doing the right thing when what I know and love is standing outside of the moving train waving goodbye to me. But in the end I know that love is the tool that empowers me with the strength that I need to challenge myself. I know that whatever happens on my journey, that I will still have love to support me, and I will still have love to guide me home. And really I think that that is probably all that I need. I have been blessed with strong roots so that I might have long branches.

So here I sit preparing for a new adventure on the Empire Builder. Up until now I have always sought to be a citizen of the world—to disassociate from this country, built on what seemed to be crumbling principles. But to be apathetic is simply ironic because these principles reside in me. They reside in my own citizenship and in my own potential. I have decided to renew my faith in this country and in doing so I will renew my faith in myself. The empire builder is leaving the station, heading westward into the setting sun. I am off to explore the American Frontier. And maybe even myself.

Love,
Zoe

No comments: