Monday, July 4, 2011

Hobby this hobby that

Whelp. I decided to take up crochet yesterday. Jack and I were walking around town when I spotted Camas Creek Yarn shop out of the corner of my eye. I decided that this would be my moment to start a new hobby (it has been a very long and enfeebled 5 days). So let the will of zoe be done.

I've always liked the shop. Every time in the past that I've gotten the whimsical feeling that I would learn how to knit, I would pop my head in there and be dazzled by the walls of colors, textures, buttons and needles. I honestly feel like the yarn shop is my own average human version of Olivander's (oh my god I just made another HP reference). I guess knitting needles can be just as fun as wands..... Anyway, I digress.

The woman in the shop taught me about weight and fiber, needle size, and made some suggestion about the shade I would want to begin with. Being terrible as I am at taking oral instruction, I seemed to phase out the ramifications of selecting a dark color. Come to discover it is impossible to see with a dark color. Also, I should've gotten an acrylic yarn. I chose wool. I figured what's the difference? But wool likes to disassemble itself and I have a feeling that wool dish cloths (which is currently all I am able to make) will probably not be long lasting.

Oh well, lessons learned.

Meanwhile I think I'm actually very good at crocheting thanks in zero part to any books or written instructions which speak in foreign tongues. I learned everything I know thus far from beginner videos on youtube including particularly the one below.


I'm not sure how most people refer to crochet stitches but through this video (and it's part II) I learned the chain, the single crochet, the half-double crochet, the double crochet, and then triple crochet. I decided rather than to make anything I would just stitch 30 chains and then start going back and forth practicing all of the stitches (see above). The results were pretty good! I definitely understand the patterns and logic behind the basic stitches and feel like they are memorable enough that I can move on to something more challenging and retain the basics. (Next goal: circles, then flowers).

Emily's commitment ceremony is coming up and she asked if I would be interested in a play session with her brother in-law's family, who are particularly fond of the tune whiskey before breakfast. So I dusted off the old wooden box and turned on you tube again to hone my fiddling skills. Youtube would've been a remarkable asset during my childhood. I have always been better at learning music by ear than by reading and it would've been nice to have such easy access to it! Anyway, I found a good video that breaks down Whiskey Before Breakfast and have been fiddling ever since!!

I haven't exactly been happy to have stitches in my bum but I guess that there are definitely worse ways to spend slow days.

Love,
Zoe


4 comments:

jessica said...

love! about the crocheting and the fiddling, not about the stitches in your bum. but good thing they're removed now!

we'll have to crochet and fiddle together sometime :)

Zoe said...

haha I wish I could *like* on blogger. yes lets crochet and fiddle together!!! :)

noodledogknits said...

wool dish cloths will felt smaller and smaller and get a lot thicker as you use them...have you ever accidentally washed a wool sweater? you can just call them dish scrubbies as they get smaller. :) cotton works really well for dish cloths, my mom has made me at least a dozen and i will probably never use a store bought one ever again. if you have fiber questions, just ask, i know my fair share :)

noodledogknits said...

ps. that was me -colleen