Sunday, June 1, 2008

Wisdom from the Glacier Peaks

June 1st, 2008

There is a sign at the Glacier Peaks Hotel that lights up the dark highway in the middle of the night. It reads “do the things that you think you cannot do.” I saw it from the backseat of a car driving into Kalispell for the first time.

This has been a rewarding experience so far because everyday I am doing something that the day before I thought I could not do. I didn’t really think that I could travel across the country on a train, get myself to Kalispell, figure out how to rent a house, how to apply for food stamps, how to hike a mountain, how to build a chainsaw…. I’ve pitched a tent twice in my life (last week), have never been to Montana, didn’t really know what carharts were before I got here, and just learned that “huckleberry” isn’t limited to a character in a Mark Twain book. I don’t belong here but that doesn’t mean that I can’t belong here. I will just continue to do the things that I think I cannot do and I’ll be just fine. Bring on Spike # 1!

Love,
Zoe

PS- HAPPY 28 TO MICHAEL!!!

No comments: